Totland to Colwell Sea Wall

Please find below the latest information about the Totland landslide,
on the north-west coast of the Isle of Wight.

September 2015:

Press Release, Isle of Wight Council, 9.9.2015:

Totland seawall footpath to be reopened

Works to reinstate public access at a damaged section of Totland Seawall have been completed and it will be officially opened this weekend.

The wall was damaged by a landslip during adverse weather in December 2012, which resulted in access being blocked.

Since then, a £200,000 'make do and mend' scheme was approved and works began in July. This has involved parts of the damaged section being removed, a new sub-base laid and drainage installed.

The work was carried out by local company Graham Attrill Civil Engineering and was completed on time and on budget.

Celebration

A joint opening ceremony will be taking place from 1.45pm on Sunday 13 September involving local residents, music, sea shanties and a walk along the new path. Anyone attending is asked to meet at the Waterfront Restaurant in Totland Bay.

Councillor Phil Jordan, Executive member responsible for public protection and PFI, said: "Given the extent of the damage in December 2012, it is credit to all involved that we have managed to reinstate public access to the section of the seawall that suffered the landslip.

"The residents have been very supportive of the council and the works that have taken place and certainly appreciate the efforts made.

"I look forward to the official opening and joining the residents in the first walk along the new path."

Positive

Helen Wood, who lives in Totland and campaigned for the wall to have pedestrian access reinstated, said: "This walk has been sorely missed by the people of Freshwater and Totland and those who visit here. This campaign has been a great example of the way communities and council can work together to get a positive outcome in these financially challenging times.

"It has been a long wait but regaining access to one of the Island's most beautiful and iconic walks is most sincerely welcomed."

Five year old Emily Dack, also from Totland, handed in a residents' petition to get the damaged seawall section open and she will cut the ribbon to officially re-open the path at the event.


Construction of the path was completed on time.

June 2015:

Press Release, Isle of Wight Council, 26.6.2015:

Totland seawall works to begin

Works to reinstate public access past a damaged section of the Totland seawall are due to start over the next fortnight.

The sea wall was severly damaged during a landslip in December 2012.

Last year, members of the council's Executive agreed to spend up to £200,000 on a 'make do and mend' option that will see works undertaken to try to prevent further damage to the wall and install a new pedestrian route which would re-open the link between Totland and Colwell. This will also have an ongoing annual maintenance cost of around £10,000.

The required assent has been given by Natural England and preparatory works will begin next week ahead of full construction works starting. The project is likely to take up to 12 weeks to complete.

Reinstate

Isle of Wight Council Executive member for public protection and PFI, Councillor Phil Jordan, said: "I am pleased works will now begin at Totland seawall.

"Although it is not a full repair, it will reinstate pedestrian access between Totland and Colwell and will minimise further damage. It is the most realistic option given the council's severe financial constraints.

"I am sure local residents and tourists will look forward to walking along the path once the works are completed towards the end of September."

The works are being undertaken by local company, Graham Atrill (Civil Engineering) Ltd.


The seawall was pushed out several metres when the landslip happened in December 2012 (photo Solent coastguard).

June 2014:

Press Release, Isle of Wight Council, 2.6.2014:

Members to decide on Totland seawall option

A number of options for the future of the Totland sea wall are due to be considered by members of the Executive on 10 June.

The sea wall was severely damaged during a landslip in December 2012 and since then it has continued to move. A footpath that ran along the top of the sea wall has also been closed as a result of the damage.

A full report into the failure of the sea wall, which included possible repair options and costs has since been completed by consultants Mott MacDonald and was put on public display in February this year.

Four options will now be considered by members. The first would mean effectively leaving the area as it is and not carrying out any remedial works other than to ensure security fencing remains in place to protect the public. However this option is not preferred.

Recommendation

Option two would see works undertaken to try and prevent any further damage to the wall and installing a new pedestrian route which would re-open the link between Totland and Colwell. This option is estimated to cost around £200K with an annual ongoing maintenance cost.

A third option would see a full reconstruction of the wall and footpath, however with no guarantee of attracting a funding contribution towards an estimated cost of over £2 million it is not a preferred option.

The final option would be to ask officers to prepare a more detailed cost for option two as part of the council's overall flood investigation report. This report is due for publication in July and is looking into the impact of flooding across the Island during the adverse weather over winter. This option is the recommended one.

Councillor Phil Jordan is Executive member for public protection and said: "We do appreciate there is a desire to reinstate the section of the Totland seawall that was damaged. However we do also need to be realistic with future options because the council is under severe financial pressures.

"A repair which allows the reinstatement of the footpath would seem a sensible way forward for the immediate future, but we will need to consider all options carefully and decide which option is best at the Executive next week."

The meeting of the Executive begins at 6pm on Tuesday 10 June.


The damage to the seawall was extensive when the landslip occurred (photo Solent coastgard).

February 2014:

Press Release, Isle of Wight Council, 10.2.2014:

Totland landslide public meeting proves popular

Around 300 people attended the Isle of Wight Council's Totland landslide information event on Wednesday 5 February.

The meeting was organised by the council following the publication of a report into the causes of the landslide and possible solutions.

The drop-in event provided people with the chance to speak with the council's coastal engineers and representatives from the specialist consultants Mott MacDonald which wrote the report.

Cabinet member for public protection, Councillor Phil Jordan was at the event and spoke to many residents. It was good to meet local residents to discuss their concerns and listen to their views on the future of the sea wall. I appreciate that residents would like to see the sea wall reinstated and we will take this into consideration when the Cabinet considers a way forward.

As I have said before, it will be very costly to repair the sea wall and although we may be able to attract external funding, this is not guaranteed. The council is in very difficult financial times and we must think very carefully about how council resources are used.

I would like to thank everyone who came along to the event, I hope they found the information we made available useful.

Members of the Cabinet will consider the findings of the report. In addition, the matter will go before a future Full Council meeting as the petition contained more than 2,500 signatures. This is in line with the Isle of Wight Council's policy on petitions.

The report is available on the Isle of Wight Council's Coastal Management section website http://www.coastalwight.gov.uk/

[Please see the news item below, for a link to the full report and latest photographs]

January 2014:


Totland landslide report published

A report into the Totland landslide, which occured in December 2012, has been published. It looks into the causes and also suggests options for the future of the damaged section of the seawall and estimated costs.

A public information event will be held will take place at Freshwater Memorial Hall on Wednesday 5 February 2014 where Isle of Wight Council officers and representatives from specialist consultancy firm Mott MacDonald will be on hand to discuss the report findings between 2pm and 8pm.

Full details can be found in Press Release below.

Please click on the link below to download the
Totland to Colwell Bay Landslide Assessment,
Isle of Wight Council report, December 2013

Totland to Colwell Bay Landslide Assessment, December 2013 (4MB pdf)

Also available:
Photographs of some of the damage to the seawall in December 2013.
Please click on the icons below to see the full size images:


Press Release, Isle of Wight Council, 30.1.2014:

Totland landslide report published

The Isle of Wight Council is to hold an information event for residents on Wednesday 5 February 2014 following the publication of a report into the causes of a major landslide in Totland Bay which took place in December 2012.

Specialist consultants were commissioned by the Isle of Wight Council to investigate the geotechnical factors which led to the landslide.

The report identifies that the failure occurred seven metres below the concrete promenade and was triggered by prolonged rainfall during the latter part of 2012. It damaged the seawall over a length of 120 metres pushing it seaward by up to 20 metres. The report also concludes that similar failures could not be ruled out in the Totland Bay area in the future.

Estimated cost

The consultants were also asked by the Isle of Wight Council to provide cost estimates for suitable repair options, and examine whether any of these solutions would attract financial help from central government given that repair costs would be significant.

Three potential solutions have been put forward in the report:

1. A rock revetment to stabilise the seawall destroyed by the landslide.
2. A rock revetment protecting the entire frontage between Totland Pier and Colwell.
3. A rock revetment at the site of the landslide with a raised splashwall providing improved protection to the base of the coastal slope from waves overtopping the existing seawall.

After examining each option, the consultants recommend option three as it protects the failed section and improves protection along the whole frontage. It may also meet the criteria to attract grant aid, however even if funding could be sourced, the Isle of Wight Council would still need to put in the region of £1.5 million towards an overall cost likely to be above £2 million.

Councillor Phil Jordan, Isle of Wight Cabinet member for public protection, said: We understand the considerable public interest in Totland sea wall which is why we felt it was important to publish the report and arrange the information event so that residents can understand the complex issues that we as a council must consider. We are pleased with the level of detail within the report and are working with officers to consider the findings before discussing the matter with the Cabinet.

If a decision is taken to repair the seawall and re-establish public access to the area, the Cabinet will need to consider how the Isle of Wight Council would be able to fund the repair costs in the context of the current severe budget pressures it is facing.

We are now in receipt of a petition signed by over 4,000 residents and will be looking at the points raised as we consider this section of coastline.

Public event

The information event will take place at Freshwater Memorial Hall on Wednesday 5 February 2014. Isle of Wight Council officers and representatives from specialist consultancy Mott MacDonald will be on hand to discuss the report findings between 2pm and 8pm.

Members of the Cabinet will consider the findings of the report. In addition, the matter will go before a future Full Council meeting as the petition contained more than 2,500 signatures. This is in line with the Isle of Wight Council's policy on petitions.

The report is available on the Isle of Wight Council's Coastal Management section website http://www.coastalwight.gov.uk/

 

March 2013:


Aerial photograph of the Totland Landslide

An aerial photograph of the Totland Landslide taken in March 2013 is now available, courtesy of the HM Solent Coastguard.

Please click on the icon below to see the full size image:

Clich here to see the full-size image

"Isle of Wight Council Service Updates, 4th March 2013

This photo of the Totland seawall was recently taken by the Coastguard. it shows how far out the wall has been pushed following the landslip late last year.

The damnaged section is very dangerous and barriers and diversions remain in place foryour safety. Please observe them."

© 2014 Isle of Wight Council All images Copyright Coastal Management Disclaimer
Updated: 15 March, 2016